Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Mysterious Blogging: Why I Suck at Twitter

Have you ever been caught short of funds at the grocery store and then someone behind you said "here - I've got it"? That was me. Have you been at the bookstore and found yourself stumped over which book to choose and then had someone say "try this"? That was me, too. Have you stood in line for a movie and found yourself in discussion with a total stranger who seemed genuinely interested in your thoughts and opinions? That was most likely me, as well.

I'm one of "those" people who seem to wander the world and want to befriend those who seem in genuine need at some moment in time. We come in, help, and then walk away with no expectations (ok, some of "those" people are way too needy...but that's not me). I love to distract kids while standing in line at Disneyland. I've nudged fellow customers with spare change to help them pay their bills. I've straightened many a messy display at various department stores simply because I know what it feels like.

That's the key to "those" people: we've been there, done that, know the feeling. We've been short at the register a time or two. We've been lost or confused in various stores or in various locations. We know what it's like to be on a tight budget and can only choose one or two of something and worry about the right choice. We've stood in line, lonely and bored, hoping for a conversation or a time killer. We've been where you are and want to make your life a bit better.

Unfortunately, you may not want help and that's why I suck at Twitter.

Twitter, that lovely social network, enables people to reach out to one another. It also allows those who feel the need for expression to do so. I can't tell the difference. I have a few people I follow who reach out and then reach back. I've mis-stepped a time or two, though and that's where I get in trouble. Which just ruins my day...

I still love Twitter...but it's a social minefield for people like me. Sigh.

3 comments:

  1. Better that stay true to yourself as a rare one who's got the compassion and strength of character to keep reaching out than let a few missteps get you down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've really enjoyed reading your blog this morning. Did you know you were one the my very first followers? I didn't know what twitter was or how to use it. I was excited when you talked to me.

    ReplyDelete