Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Mysterious Wanderings: The Little Road Trip Handbook

I love Twitter. I meet interesting people, I have great chats, and I get free books from time-to-time.

Being a lover of road trips, I delightedly responded to author's Erin McHugh's offer for a free copy of her newest Sterling Publishing release, The Road Trip Handbook

Not necessarily for the faint of heart, road trips can bring a family closer to the US of A while driving them farther apart. After two years of marriage, hubby and I went for a three-week tootle around the country. While I tend to run to the plan-it-out, David really yearned for the the "let's just go where the road takes us". We ended up compromising and did a bit of both.

Erin recommends - and I concur - planning your trip as far as getting the car checked out, stocking it with essentials (hadn't thought of packing my own TP, thanks Erin for that tip!), and leaving certain things behind: like emotional baggage (Yes!). However, we disagree on one thing: she says leave a camera behind and I say "bring it on!" we took over a thousand digital photos on our trip and I confess I still get misty eyed when I see my photos of Laura Ingalls Wilder's home (my heroine!). 

She's also correct in suggesting that you watch a few road trip movies prior to leaving as a way of getting "into the mood". I'd even go so far as to suggest that you pick a few American-made films and plan a hunt for the shooting locations. 

There are practical chapters: speed limits, suggested radio stations, silly laws (no musical horns in Kansas!), and even some classic road trip suggestions for those new to the "sport". 

I'd like to take another car trip this summer: traditionally we pack a variety of tour books to keep us amused along the way as well as suggestions for possible stops. Erin McHugh's Little Road Trip Handbook is one we'll pull out earlier and definitely pack in the car.  

1 comment: